On episode 16 we talk with Angela Santomero, the creator of Blue’s Clues and other television shows about raising kids in a screen-filled world.
Angela Santomero is the creator of Blue’s Clues, Super Why!, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Peep and the Big Wide World, and other popular children’s television shows. She also has a new book out, Preschool Clues: Raising Smart, Inspired, and Engaged Kids in a Screen-Filled World. She was gracious to sit down with us a few weeks ago and talk about her book, her experience and insight into creating media for kids, and her relationship with Fred Rogers.
Our conversation with Angela Santomero includes:
- How she came up with ideas for her television shows (here’s a hint – Mr. Rogers was her hero!)
- Why parents shouldn’t feel guilty for letting their kids have screen time
- How to make good media choices for your kids that reinforce good values
- Why you should talk with your kids about the behavior of the characters in the shows they watch
- How to use technology to strengthen the real world lessons our kids are learning
- Her recommendations for deciding how much screen time your kids should have
Click here to order Angela’s book.
(If you use that link to buy, we’ll get a small commission, which will help support the show!)
How to connect with Angela
You can visit Angela’s website to keep up with all she’s working on, and to sign up for her newsletter where she sends you tips to build a healthy media diet for your kids.
You can also follow Angela on social media:
How to Support Screen Smart
Our podcast depends on the support of listeners like you! Here are five simple ways you can help:
- Tell a friend about our show!
- Rate and/or review our podcast on iTunes (or wherever you get podcasts)
- Like/follow our FaceBook page.
- Join our email list.
- Support us via Patreon.
See Ya Later!
As we said in the show, this is our last episode of season 1. It’s not a goodbye, just a see ya later. We hope you’ve enjoyed the show so far, and we have big plans we’re excited to share with you in the coming months. Season 2 will bring new episodes this fall, so be sure and sign up for our email list to stay updated on all the latest from The Screen Smart Podcast.
Thanks for listening, and have a great summer!
-Alex and Jay-